School Based Health Services
Helping our children maintain their health and wellness through on-site access to our school-based health centers from pre-k through twelve is important to us at Southern West Virginia Health System. Currently we operate 10 school-based health centers within Boone, Lincoln, and Logan counties.
The goal of our school-based health centers is to provide the children in our communities with easier access to healthcare services to:
- Help meet student care needs as they occur during the school day
- Shorten the time taken to diagnose a health-related condition and begin treatment
- Assist parents with helping their child/children to be seen by a provider without having to take time off work or travel to another location for diagnosis or treatment
- Provide convenient access to well-child visits, immunizations, sports physicals and more
What type of services can my child/children receive at your school-based health centers?
The staff at our school-based health centers are trained and equipped to provide care for:
- Treatment for minor cuts, abrasions, sprains, and strains
- Treatment of short-term illness
- Management of long-term conditions
- Sports Physicals
How can I arrange for my child to participate in receiving care at one of your school-based health centers?
In order for your child/children to be seen at one of our school-based health centers, a parent or guardian must return a completed school enrollment and consent form to our school-based health center. For easy access to this form we have provided a clickable pdf that you can download, fill-out, print out, and return to our school-based health staff. If you would like a hard copy of this form, just let our staff know and they will be happy to assist you.
Do I need to fill out a new school-based health center enrollment and consent form for each school-year?
Yes. Each school year a new completed enrollment and consent form will be needed.
Will you contact me if my child has been seen by one of your school-based providers?
Yes. After each visit, the parent or guardian will be contacted by phone, or in cases where we cannot contact you by phone a letter will be sent home with your child, to explain the reason for the visit and a treatment plan if one is necessary.
Will my insurance be billed for the services provided by the school-based health center?
Yes. No actual payments are collected at the school based health centers at the time of visit. However, services are billed to the student’s insurance on file. Parents will receive statements in the mail regarding billing.