Helping our children maintain their health and wellness through on-site access to our Sherman Elementary Health Center at Sherman Elementary School is important to us at Southern West Virginia Health System.
The goal of our school-based health center is to provide the children in our community with easier access to healthcare services to:
- Help meet student care needs as they occur during the school day
- Shorten the time taken to diagnose a health-related condition and begin treatment
- Assist parents with helping their child/children to be seen by a provider without having to take time off work or travel to another location for diagnosis or treatment
- Provide convenient access to well-child visits, immunizations, sports physicals and more
What type of services can my child/children receive at Sherman Elementary Health Center?
The staff at our Sherman Elementary Health Center are trained and equipped to provide care for:
- Treatment for minor cuts, abrasions, sprains, and strains
- Treatment of short-term illness
- Management of long-term conditions
- Sports Physicals
How can I arrange for my child to participate in receiving care at Sherman Elementary Health Center?
In order for your child/children to be seen at our Sherman Elementary Health Center, a parent or guardian must return a completed school enrollment and consent form to our school-based health center. For easy access to this form, we have provided a clickable pdf that you can download, fill-out, print out, and return to our school-based health staff. If you would like a hard copy of this form, just let our staff know and they will be happy to assist you.
Do I need to fill out a new school-based health center enrollment and consent form for each school year?
Yes. Each school year a new completed enrollment and consent form will be needed.
Will you contact me if my child has been seen by a staff member at Sherman Elementary Health Center?
Yes. After each visit, the parent or guardian will be contacted by phone, or in cases where we cannot contact you by phone a letter will be sent home with your child, to explain the reason for the visit and a treatment plan if one is necessary.
Will my insurance be billed for the services provided at Sherman Elementary Health Center?
Yes. Actual payments are not collected at the school-based health centers at the time of visit. However, services are billed to the student’s insurance on file. Parents will receive statements in the mail regarding billing.